Tezpur University (Assamese:তেজপুৰ বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is a Central University located in Tezpur in the North Eastern state of Assam, India by an act in Parliament of India in 1994.The Governor of Assam, Padmanabha Acharya is the chancellor of Tezpur University, Mihir Kanti Chaudhuri  is the vice-chancellor and Amarjyoti Choudhury is the pro vice-chancellor.
The establishment of Tezpur University is considered to be one of the outcomes of the Assam Accord, along with the establishment of Assam University and Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati.
Tezpur University was established, by an Act of Parliament, in 1994. The then prime minister of India, P. V. Narasimha Rao, chaired the opening of the university.
Initially, the university operated from the premises of the Darrang College, in Tezpur. For a while it also operated from the Tezpur Law College premises. Land was acquired at Napaam, a suburb of Tezpur, about 15 kilometers east, of 242 acres (0.98 square kilometers), and the premises shifted.
Kalaguru Bishnuprasad Rava (Rabha) donated an ancestral estate of 2500 bigha land received from the British government in favour of the peasants. The present-day Tezpur University stands on the land donated by him. Recently,[when?] the university acquired an additional plot of land.
The stated objectives of Central University are:
- It shall strive to offer employment oriented and inter-disciplinary courses, mostly, at postgraduate level to meet local, regional aspirations and development needs of the State of Assam
- It shall offer courses and promote research in areas which are of special relevance to the region and in emerging areas in science and technology
- Shall promote national integration and study of rich cultural heritage of the region and, in particular, the diverse ethnic, linguistic and tribal cultures of the State
- It shall utilize “distance education techniques” to provide access to higher education for large segments of the population, the disadvantaged groups living in remote and rural areas
- It shall upgrade the professional knowledge and skills of in service personnel for lifelong learning.